The CSCS is designed to achieve concise estimates of health insurance coverage by…
- targeting primary residences using county identifiers,
- establishing contact with person in household most knowledgeable about health insurance,
- enumerating who is in the household,
- selecting one "target" person at random,
- establishing the relationship of the target to all other household members,
- determining the target's current and prior year (annual) health insurance coverage, and
- obtaining current health insurance coverage info of all other household members (optional but recommended).
Based on annual insurance status, target respondents are sorted into the following groups:
- employer based insurance all year,
- individual coverage all year,
- uninsured all year, and
- had a spell of uninsurance during the past 12 months, and everyone else.
The CSCS also includes modules of additional questions specifically designed for these groups.