Federal Survey Data Release Schedule
American Community Survey (ACS)
An ongoing general household survey conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau that provides annual estimates of health insurance coverage at the national, state, and sub-state geographies. Note that due to impacts of COVID-19 on data collection efforts, sample size, and nonresponse bias, the Census Bureau will not be releasing 2020 ACS as usual, but instead will be producing "experimental" 1-year estimates for 2020. The 2020 5-year estimates may also be affected by these survey interruptions. SHADAC will be following all updates on the 2020 data from the Census Bureau, and will highlight important announcments and new information here.
• Analytical Report
• Experiemental 1-Year 2020 data release on Explore Census Data*
• Working Paper on Experimental Methodology
• 1-Year 2020 Public Use Microdata Sample (PUMS) File with Experimental Weights
• 5-Year (2016-2020) Data Release on Explore Census Data*
• 5-Year (2016-2020) Public Use Microdata Sample (PUMS) File
Current Population Survey (CPS)
A monthly household survey conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau for the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Data on income and health insurance coverage is collected in its Annual Social and Economic Supplement administered in February through April. Annual health insurance estimates are provided for the nation and states.
September 14, 2021
• 2020 National Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Statistics data release on Explore Census Data*
Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS)
MEPS is a two component survey sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. The MEPS-Insurance Component (IC) is a survey of employers that provide data on employer-based health insurance. The MEPS-Household Component (HC) is a panel household survey that is supplemented with data from the respondents' medical providers.
• 2019 Full Year Consolidated File
• 2019 Person Round Plan File
• 2019 Medical Conditions File
• Appendix to MEPS 2019 Event Files
• 2020 MEPS-IC Health Insurance Tables – Private-Sector National Estimates
• 2020 MEPS-IC Health Insurance Tables – Private-Sector State and Metro Area Estimates
National Health Interview Survey (NHIS)
A continuous cross-sectional household interview survey conducted by the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) which is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). It provides information on the health of the U.S. population and includes questions about health insurance coverage, health care utilization and access, and health conditions and behaviors, in addition to demographic and socioeconomic characteristics.
• Data Release files (currently only available through 2018)
• Additional estimates for sub-annual time periods are released through the NHIS Early Release Program in September, November/December, and February/March each year
Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS)
A state-based survey sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that focuses on population health, risk factors, and health behaviors for the adult population.
• Annual Survey Data for 2020
*Only Annual Survey Data through 2018 currently available.
Note: Based on previous data release calendars.
* Starting in 2019 U.S. Census Bureau American Community Survey (ACS) and Current Population Survey (CPS) data will no longer be available through American FactFinder, but will now be posted to their new "Explore Census Data" site.
For more information on these surveys see SHADAC's Brief Using Recent Revisions to Federal Surveys for Measuring the Effects of the Affordable Care Act.
Page last updated August 2021