Federal Survey Data Release Schedule
American Community Survey (ACS)
An ongoing general household survey conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau provides annual estimates of health insurance coverage at the national, state, and sub-state geographies. For a full range of available products from SHADAC’s coverage of the 2022 health insurance data release (2021 estimates) click here.
September 14, 2023
• 2022 ACS 1-year data file
• 2017-2021 5-Year Public Use Microdata Sample (PUMS) file
• 2021 ACS 1-Year Public Use Microdata Sample (PUMS) file
• 2021 ACS 1-year data file (i.e., on data.census.gov)
• An Assessment of the COVID-19 Pandemic’s Impact on the 2020 ACS 1-Year Data Analytic Paper
• Introduction to the American Community Survey Public Use Microdata Sample (PUMS) file
Current Population Survey (CPS)
A monthly household survey conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau for the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Data on income and health insurance coverage is collected in its Annual Social and Economic Supplement administered in February through April. Annual health insurance estimates are provided for the nation and states.
September 12, 2023
• 2022 Income, Poverty and Health Insurance statistics from the Current Population Survey Annual Social and Economic Supplement (CPS ASEC)
• 2021 Income, Poverty and Health Insurance statistics from the Current Population Survey Annual Social and Economic Supplement (CPS ASEC)
Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS)
MEPS is a two-component survey sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. The MEPS-Insurance Component (IC) is a survey of employers that provide data on employer-based health insurance. The MEPS-Household Component (HC) is a panel household survey that is supplemented with data from the respondents' medical providers.
A continuous cross-sectional household interview survey conducted by the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) which is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). It provides information on the health of the U.S. population and includes questions about health insurance coverage, health care utilization and access, and health conditions and behaviors, in addition to demographic and socioeconomic characteristics.
Estimates for sub-annual time periods are released through the NHIS Early Release Program in September, November/December, and February/March each year.
• 2022 NHIS Public Use Files
Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS)
A state-based survey sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that focuses on population health, risk factors, and health behaviors for the adult population.
• 2022 Annual Survey Data
A near-real-time experimental survey from the U.S. Census Bureau. Typically released on a monthly basis.
Note: Based on previous data release calendars.
Page last updated September 2023